Wednesday, October 12, 2005

 

blue

I went and saw Forty Shades of Blue at the Nuart last night. Halfway through, I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but I really ended up liking it. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it has a lot of emotional resonance, and I tend to cling to any movie that hits me in the gut, even if my mind and eyes may say it left something to be desired.
And I think the movie had some interesting things to say about love and fidelity. The movie basically depicts a woman's affair with her live-in lover's adult son. And I know that's been done before, but it is done so carefully here, and with such a feel for what each of the three leads is going through, I thought it really worked.
But the two things I walked away being most moved by were
(1) The woman's clear torture at realizing who she is and what she is capable of. I've had moments like that, where I was heartbroken to realize that I could in fact do something I had always thought was lower than I could stoop, though not for some time, and this movie brought back that feeling to me that I had totally forgotten.
(2) The son's ability to keep the affair in a practical perspective, while she is unravelling. "It's not the worst thing that's ever happened." And he believes that. And he's not wrong, of course - it all comes down to the way you look at the world, and the way you look at love. And the gap between his reaction and hers is just so enormous, yet neither one is really wrong.
I don't know. The movie just left me really really sad. But of course, that's just praise for the filmmakers, right? And the actress playing the leading role was phenomenal. I've never seen her in anything before, and I watch a billion movies, but she did everything just right.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?