Wednesday, September 21, 2005

 

thumb

I just got back from seeing Thumbsucker. It was one of those movies that I feel like I've been waiting forever for, like the trailers and the ads were just taunting me with how made for me this movie was.
And it wasn't a bad movie. Parts of it were even pretty cool. But it didn't move me at all. It was clever at times, and the lead kid was really amazing (I so would have had a crush on him if this movie came out when I was a teenager), but it just left me entirely cold. And I guess that's the problem. I wouldn't be so bummed out right now if the movie were just not that good. Because most movies are crap, and I like a lot of them anyway. But I was expecting this movie to touch me, and it just didn't. I think that's worse disappointment than going to a movie hoping to be entertained and ending up watching something that's just shite.
Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure that the filmmakers were more into making a generally good movie rather than making one that I in particular would connect to. Maybe sometimes I set unfair expectations. And then resent whoever or whatever doesn't live up to them. Even if it's just a little indie film that I really like the posters for.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?